The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Right to Choose
Greenpeace claims that genetically modified rice was found in Heinz baby food sold in China. Heinz denies it, of course, and now the matter is under further investigation. I don’t know what to say about this. I’m not a big fan of genetically modified food to begin with. I’m all for using genetic engineering to help fight disease, but I just wish they’d leave our food alone. A lot of people feel the same way, and that’s why this is potentially such a big deal in China. Genetically modified rice has not been approved there for use by humans. Here are some of the concerns that have been voiced about genetic engineering by some people and groups. To me it comes down to a matter of choice. I should be able to choose to eat what I want to eat. If I want to eat GM foods fine, but if I choose to eat organic foods, I should have that choice. The way that genetically modified crops are spreading, and the way that some of the genes are actually contaminating organic food, at some point in the future I may not have a choice. The only food that may be available will be genetically modified, and I don’t think that is right.


Here’s what I think biotech is good for: stopping Alzheimer’s disease, for example, and curing Parkinson’s disease. Just leave our food alone.

Diet
Here is an interesting article on being vegan. I have flirted with being vegan myself. It’s not easy. It takes a real commitment, which I don’t currently have. And there are ethical considerations, as discussed in the article. But I do prefer being closer to the vegan end of the scale than being closer to the opposite (meat) end.

Speaking of eating meat, a study of 22,000 people over five years showed that those who stopped eating meat gained less weight than those who continued eating meat.

And concerning cholesterol, here is one way to lower it and keep it down.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home