The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The American Heart Association wants to limit the amount of trans fats that people consume. I’d like to get rid of trans fats altogether. One problem is that, even though a product may say it contains 0 grams trans fats, that doesn’t mean it does not contain trans fats at all, particularly if it does contain hydrogenated oil. And if a person eats a lot of processed food, the trace amounts of trans fats that he does consume adds up. Let’s just get rid of them.

The American Heart Association also has further guidelines for a healthy lifestyle, including counting calories and exercising. Some of these recommendations are worth paying attention to. As far as general recommendations go, these are pretty good. In the final analysis, however, each person has to make his or her own decisions for a healthy lifestyle.

They have discovered that wine contains melatonin, which tends to make a person sleepy. As far as I’m concerned, this is just one more reason why a glass or two of wine per day can have positive health benefits. Melatonin is a powerful antioxidant which strengthens the immune system and may be effective against cancer.

However, now scientists want to genetically engineer grapes that are used to make wine. This is one of my greatest fears: that scientists will screw up something as perfect as the grape. LEAVE MY GRAPES ALONE.

You can tell that global warming has gotten the world out of whack when the Arctic is melting, polar bears are eating each other, and North Carolina wins ice hockey’s Stanley Cup. Congratulations, Canes! North Carolina is proud of you.


, , , , , , , , , , ,


NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    I stopped eating partially hydrogenated oil in the early 90s, but then I cook for a hobby and really enjoy tasting fresh food. I've been cooking for my mom for many years, she is going to be 76 and takes two meds. One is for HBP and the other is for the thyroid that was removed. She goes to work four days a week and smokes at least a pack a day. Don't shake her hand, she has a grip stronger than most men.

    Diet is important, flavor can make up for a lack of calories. Years ago "cooking in the kitchen with Rosie" came out, good cookbook except that the ingredients are super expensive and can't be found in most small towns. I made a meal for four in '94 that had only 340 calories, was super satisfying and cost me almost $15 per person. Not everybody can do that and the prep work was phenomenal. It tasted great, just not worth all the work. If I love to cook and consider it too much work, imagine the person who watches Rachel Ray.

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Ed Bremson, MFA said…

    Your mom sounds very strong. I'll bet you're glad you have her genes. My mom died at 70, but she smoked until the end, and was diabetic.

    I do all the cooking since my wife died. As I've said before, I bought a bunch of Indian spices with which I have experimented. I've been vegetarian for about 5 yrs, but it is often difficult to keep from eating meat, especially while traveling. Often I am not very inspired to cook, so when I am inspired I cook extra stuff and freeze it. Then I thaw it out a little at a time for me and my son.

    I like to cook, but it is not so easy when it is so hot, as it is now.

    We used to get weekly meals from a macrobiotic chef here locally. That's where I got some of my recipes.

     
  • At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please get rid of trans fats. We need more awareness about the ill effects of trans fats. Great article

     

Post a Comment

<< Home