The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

I guess the tobacco companies are still trying to provide evidence that smoking is not bad for you. I’m sure their investors are glad about that, but I don’t know of too many others who are.

Apparently one fourth of all the death and disease in adults, and one third in children, is attributable to environmental factors – i.e., things we could do something about if we would.

Nora Ephron has been waxing nostalgic about Teflon. It turns out that Teflon is bad for you, she says. I say good riddance. (I’ve talked about the dangers of Teflon and PFOA before.) To wax nostalgic about Teflon is like being all warm and fuzzy about DDT, or something toxic like that. For me, the sooner it’s out of our lives the better. I know that you could make a great omelet in a Teflon pan, but who needs all those eggs and all that cholesterol anyway? Good riddance. And so you have to scrape or wash a few pans. Isn’t that a small price to pay for good health? My generation is already screwed. We’ve been exposed to all the carcinogens that our scientists could devise. I only hope that future generations can avoid some of those carcinogens. If we can start by getting rid of Teflon -- or PFOA, its toxic byproduct -- great. The only problem for me is that companies have until 2015 to get rid of it. So, how many more people are going to be exposed to this stuff before it’s finally gone. And even after it’s gone, it still persists in the environment for a long time. Knowing all this, will I get nostalgic about Teflon? No way!


The divorced father and mother of an eight-year-old boy are fighting in court over whether or not to have the boy circumcised. Very interesting. It seems that the mother has remarried, and her new husband is Jewish. So . . . is there really any question why this whole question came up? Too bad the child is in the middle of all this. Happy Father’s Day!


Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home