The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Bloodless surgery is something that interests me. I first heard about it a couple of years ago when someone I know had it. The idea, as I understand it, is that if doctors really want to they can recycle your own blood during surgery and give it back to you, avoiding the necessity of getting blood from, say, a stranger. Here is an article about it. Here is an article in Wikipedia. And here is a directory of hospitals which presumably offer bloodless surgery. Not all hospitals offer it because it is a big deal, and may require special equipment. In the case of the person I know who was able to have his surgery in this way, the impression I have is that some doctors are not too eager to go this route. If you find a hospital that does this on a regular basis, however, then you can probably avoid that resistance as well. I think bloodless surgery is a great idea. If I ever need an operation I may take advantage of that option.

Here’s an article about how one grocery chain rated the food in its stores according to how healthy it was. As you can imagine, some food producers were not too pleased with this rating system.

Here’s an article about the health benefits of fruit: apples have fiber and the anti-inflammatory quercetin; grapes have resveratrol and ellagic acid, which may fight cancer; strawberries also have ellagic acid, which may inhibit tumor growth; pineapples also may be anti-inflammatory.

This article discusses the healthy properties of wheatgrass. I’ve never thought much about wheatgrass, but after seeing this article I plan to do more research. Interesting.

And then there are sprouts. I don’t think too much about these either. I may eat some if I find them on a salad bar. Apparently they are really good for you too.

This article talks about calorie restricted diets, and gives some guidelines for deciding how many calories must be cut in order for a diet to qualify as calorie restricted. Research suggests that eating fewer calories might increase a person’s longevity. As always, ask your doctor before changing your diet.



, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home