The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Here’s an article that discusses the health benefits of eating organic food. I’m still not sure what the answer is, but I’m willing to eat it anyway simply because it presumably contains less poison.

Scientists may have developed a blood test that would detect the presence of Alzheimer’s disease in a patient. No blood test has been available before, so diagnosis of this dreaded disease has been imprecise at best.

Didn’t we do an article recently about how moderate alcohol consumption (one or two drinks per day) may protect against Alzheimer’s disease? Here’s another one.

On the other hand, consuming alcohol may increase one’s risk of cancer. Apparently a compound called acetaldehyde is produced in the body when alcohol breaks down. Individuals who are genetically incapable of breaking down the acetaldehyde may suffer DNA damage that can develop into cancer because the acetaldehyde builds up in the blood stream. Millions of people have the gene variant that leads to this problem. Most of them are East Asian.

Have you had your servings of nuts today? Here’s an article telling you why you should. Now, this I did not know: “Nuts and peanuts are a source of plant sterols known to block cholesterol absorption and stimulate increased excretion of bile acids, two metabolic mechanisms which decrease LDL cholesterol levels.” That’s good to know. For a long time I ate peanut butter, and I gained a lot of weight, like at least five pounds. Recently I have been eating just plain nuts – pistachios, peanuts, walnuts – and I have not been gaining weight. Nuts are good for you.

Overweight women tend to have more Caesarean sections.

Eating whole wheat bread during pregnancy may help prevent your daughters from developing breast cancer when they grow up. Now you see, even if this were not true, wouldn't you want to try it just in case it might be true?

This headline is disturbing: Obesity costs US companies $13 bln a year.



, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home