The Tao of Politics

One of my main concerns is: how can I make a difference? There are thousands of political blogs out there. It’s easy to get lost in that ocean. So I may blog about politics on occasion, or I may blog about health issues, depending on where my interests lead me, and where I feel I can contribute something of significance.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Could tattoos be more dangerous than previously thought? Are there carcinogens in the ink?

Here’s something that just boggles my mind: in Asia, about half the people who commit suicide do so by drinking pesticides. And part of the problem is that the pesticides are so lethal that the person dies within about three hours. This means that if the person changes his or her mind, or if drinking the pesticide was like a cry for attention, it is probably too late, and they die anyway. This is such a sad situation.

Here is an interesting article: a study contends that 50 million humans contracted animal diseases during the years 2000-2005, and 78,000 died. Whoa, that’s serious.

Some people want restaurants to label their menu items so that we know how many calories they have, etc. I think this is a great idea. The more information a person has, the better he is able to make decisions about the food he eats.

With regards to carbs, the current conclusion seems to be that the healthiest diet is one that includes lots of vegetables and few carbohydrates. I don’t know how I can do this. I eat lots of vegetables, and no meat, but I do eat a lot of bread and pasta. I guess the idea is to eat more whole grains, etc, but I just don’t know. I may eventually evolve in the direction of eliminating more carbs from my diet, but I’m not there yet.

Wouldn’t it be great if the human body was able to kill all cancers before they became a problem, and we never had to worry about that again? Someday that may be reality. Researchers at the University of Louisville have used patients’ immune systems to enable them to fight malignant melanoma. And here’s another article on the same subject from IHT.

It is interesting (and often unpleasant) to go to the mall and witness the struggles that often occur between parents and children. We are the adults, folks, and we should be able to control ourselves, even while our little ones can’t always control themselves. If you need help in self-control, here is an article that may help.

Do you think you might be at risk of developing osteoporosis? Here is an article that might help you find out.



, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


NOW AVAILABLE

As reviewed by Miss Cellania, you now get four books in one volume, including, for the first time in print, The Tao of America. Click here for more information about this volume, including excerpts.

The Tao of Politics Anthology, now available as e-book (only $6.00), or as paperback.

Also check here for The Tao of Love. And for a good time, anytime, visit Miss Cellania online.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    Great, I have two tattoos.

    If restaurants start putting the caloric information next to the dishes, they will go out of business. My diabetic friend carries around this little handbook and reads the calorie counts to his coworkers when they eat out. The Starbucks runs have decreased considerably.

    When his brother went to Del Taco he informed him that his lunch was almost 1800 calories and he was still hungry. Too funny.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home